Lake Keowee covers Keowee Town, site of the capital of the Lower Cherokee Nation. Keowee, meaning "Place of the Mulberries," was visited by Spanish explorer Hernando DeSoto when he came through the area in 1540. Since 1971, Lake Keowee's 18,500 acres of water and 300 miles of shoreline have been a valuable source of energy and recreation in northwestern South Carolina. Keowee was the first lake developed as part of Duke Power's Keowee-Toxaway Complex. The complex includes Lake Keowee, Jocassee, and Bad Creek. Full pond elevation at Lake Keowee is 800 feet. The lake provides a dependable water supply for Greenville and Seneca, South Carolina.
The community has an owners association that can be contacted by mail at this address:
PO Box 8277, Seneca, SC 29678